Thursday, January 29, 2004

scholarships is good

fark, bless their souls, has once again provided me with entertainment for the week.

this high school kid, willie williams, is being heavily recruited by a number of colleges. the miami herald is covering his trips to FSU, UM, Auburn, and U of F. sorry, willie, but you're a poster-child for idiot jocks.

while i suggest you read each of the articles, i have to share these nuggets:

Williams ran out of the tunnel through a giant-sized UM helmet and the infamous smoke. The music playing over the loudspeakers was Bone Crusher's rap hit Never Scared. Oddly, though, Williams kind of was.
''I was running like a blind man,'' Williams said. 'I had my eyes closed cause I didn't want none of that smoke to get in my eyes. Coach was like, `It's OK, Willie. It isn't going to hurt you.' Now, I know. Running through that smoke was awesome.''

''Auburn opened my eyes a little bit,'' Williams said. ``But they closed them, too.''

"The girls at the party were much better than the farmer girls we'd see all day around campus,'' Williams said. ``I was kind of worried all Auburn had to offer was those farmer girls that talked funny. But the girls at the party weren't farmer girls at all. I thought they must have bused them in from Miami.''

and he's gonna go to college. and graduate. and make a *lot* of money.

willie williams, i salute you...

1 comment:

  1. 1. a reader left...
    Monday, 2 February 2004 3:23 pm
    what's wrong with him making a lot of money? believe me, the amount of money/hype he brings in to the school that eventually gets him (if he lives up to the hype) will most likely far outweigh any money that he will make. that's just capitalism. you should also keep in mind that these "idiot jocks" spend far more time training/traveling/memorizing plays/playing than most undergrads do on coursework for their major. there are plenty of undergrads, especially in the humanities, that do way less to "earn" their place at good schools.
    jocks are hot

    ReplyDelete