Tuesday, February 15, 2005

nyt link of the day

True to Her Orthodox Beliefs, if Not to Her Roots

"If you break down the words of the title, it represents where I've come in my life, in terms of my self-image," she explained in a telephone interview recently. "The meaning of the words are very beautiful. I'm Japanese. And Jewish. And American, just as American as anyone else who was born here. I don't consider myself a princess, but I consider myself worthy for the first time in my life."

In the show, Ms. Factor, who was born Christine Horii in Hawaii, relates her journey from a high-kicking Rockette at Radio City Music Hall to Israel, where she now lives with her husband and two children. She is currently on a 41-city American tour, performing to sold-out auditoriums at synagogues, community centers and Jewish high schools, all the audiences filled exclusively with women, as her strict faith demands.

No comments:

Post a Comment