Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mind over Matter

I'm trying to convince my body that I'm not really sick.

As some of you may know, this past Sunday we had a bit of a snowfall. It had been cold out here for a little while before that. I noticed I wasn't feeling well on Shabbat morning. We had dinner at shul the night before, and while I normally have a babysitter walk us to shul on Shabbat morning, she was home because it was Christmas. It was a long morning at home with the kinderlatch, and I was immensely relieved when Avraham took the girls over to neighbors in the afternoon so I could rest. Baby and I woke up shortly before the girls came home, and they were blessedly kind to me and waited for Avs to get home to have dinner.

On Sunday we opted out of going to shacharit and breakfast at shul, which ended up beigna good thing, because I was TIRED. I sat and zoned out until Avraham came from shul. We ended up having a quiet day, watching the snowfall and trying to figure out how much we would end up getting.

Monday morning, I woke up at 3:40 with the baby. After nursing, I felt hot, so I came out to the living room to cool off. Avs got up and cancelled minyan for the morning, and I got back out of bed. I remember coming out a few times for water and a bite of something to eat, but I was pretty sick, and spent most of the day sleeping fitfully. By Tuesday morning I was feeling better, but had started with a cold and a cough. Yesterday the cold and cough both got worse, and I was in a lot of pain.

And today? Today I sound like I've got a pack-a-day habit. Part of me is wondering if I'm veering off that cliff into bronchitis, and the rest of me is convinced that I can power through it on conviction alone (which is how I get through my winter sicknesses most of the time). I'm a little freaking out that it's now Thursday night, I'm not better, and tomorrow night and Shabbat morning are looming large. Alone with 3 kids, sick, and no way of entertaining them other than *me* for hours at a time is not my favorite recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment