Tuesday, October 5, 2004

poetry in motion

dov, who always buys the best gifts, gave me a collection of 100 of the poems that have been appearing on the subways and buses for the past few years.  he apparent;y noted my obsessive copying of them into various notebooks strewn around my former life 9ie, when i was still an artist).

2 i'd like to share tonight.

Thank You, My Dear

Thank you, my dear

You came, and you did
well to come: I needed
you.  You have made

love blaze up in
my breast  --- bless you!
Bless you as often

as the hours have
been endless to me
while you were gone.

Sappho (c. 600 B.C.)
Translated from the Greek by Mary Barnard

Jamesian


Their relationship consisted
In discussing if it existed.

Thom Gunn (b. 1929)

4 comments:

  1. 1. 'Jessica' posted on the Wed 6 Oct 2004, 1:14 am
    Loving the second one... sigh... so true... so pathetically true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2. 'Dani Weiss' posted on the Wed 6 Oct 2004, 10:01 am
    so's the first, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3. 'A visitor' posted on the Thu 7 Oct 2004, 8:52 pm
    Funny video bout college kids addcited to using google
    collegeiseasy.net
    Moishe

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4. 'A visitor' posted on the Sun 10 Oct 2004, 10:55 pm
    Dani, Jess -- I was just about to say.
    Me(r)

    ReplyDelete