Thursday, July 22, 2004

ask the rabbi...

...then decide for yourself:

I would like to thank you VERY MUCH for sending me the answer to a question that I originally sent to the “Ask The Rabbi” website. I suspect that they forwarded it to you. A few years ago, I heard of a newly discovered creature in Indonesia. It was a pig that had cloven hooves and chewed its cud. I asked if this pig could be considered Kosher. The very scholarly article that you sent to me was extremely enlightening. When I asked some Rabbis this question, the usual answer was that, by tradition, nothing in the pig family is Kosher even if it qualified on the two main criteria. I now know (assuming the the information given in the article is accurate) that there is no way that this creature can be considered Kosher. Even if it were, where could I obtain meat from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment