Monday, July 28, 2003

soulmates

i have htis friend, female, who i've known ssince she was born ( i was about 3 months old, so i didn't know her v actively at first). she's wonderful, and when she's around, there's more of a smile on my face. she's the only person i've met that i can really see myself living with forever and not getting annoyed. my sister says we're soulmates.

: ) she was in town last night, back from learning in israel and on a short vacation from some fabulous learning retreat thing for the summer.

at about midnight, she decided she needed to take a dunk in the lake. yes, it's safe, but just in case, i took a flashlight with us, 2 towels (for her, i wasn't in the mood to swim, shower, dry my hair, etc, knowing i'd have to be up @ 7 am), a plastic tablecloth to spread on the dock so my tushy woulnd't get wet from the remnants of the earlier rainfall that day, and a can of Off bugspray.

now, my friend is a v free spirit, and being as it was midnight in the middle of nowheresville PA, she wasn't in the mood to be encumbered by a bathing suit. she stripped down while i stared at a cloudfilled sky, and dove into the water. it was a beautiful night - the weather was just right, and i had my favorite wall hanging on as a head wrap. happiness all around. we were chatting, and i was pretending to morse code with strangers across the lake, when suddenly a group, no a swarm, of people arrived lakeside. nosy me began flicking my flashlight towards them, trying to make out their identities (it was all v hush hush and mysterious, you know).

suddenly one of them said "Dani? is there a boy with you?"

thick-headed me, not comprehending why i was being asked that said "no, why? and who are you?"

"great! we're coming in!" and a gaggle of one of the most straight-laced families of women all began racing down the dock and into the water. hehe. 5 feet from where my friend was treading, us both in hysterics (more toward the laughter sde, though). 3 generations of them, splashing, playing ring around the rosie...

my friend unobtrusively murmured "i'm going to swim down that way... why don't you join me?"

i gathered up her clothes, the towels, the flashlight, and began my hazardous (lightless) and barefoot journey to my family's private dock, a short distance away and hidden in the trees.

now all my friend had left to do was haul herself up out of the water onto the dock. he. she began to and re-thought it when the possibility of splinters crossed her mind. i draped a towel over her wwhich she wrapped around the essentials, and she waded towards me. they must have thought we were stoned off our asses, cause we couldn't stop giggling. sof sof, in stead of following my plan and nonchalantly hanging out for a fwe minutees ti lwe could bolt home, we ran back, grabbed the rest of out stuff, and bolted immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment