Thursday, December 17, 2009

Finally, my thoughts

Last week I'd never heard the name Leib Tropper. Being married to a Rabbi, and living where we do, we do sometimes have geirut issues arise. So I was very much aware of the issues as they arose. First the Beit Din in Israel was trying to say who exactly could perform conversions *outside* of Israel - not enough to be an RCA Rabbi, but you'd have to be on a special list. Then there was the business of refusing to acknowledge certain conversions which were already completed, bith in Israel and in the US.

And sadly, the group causing this hooplah, pain, and tension, was all Hareidi.

Some people in the Hareidi world wanted to control all geirut - not just in Israel, but worldwide. The vehicle they chose to do this was EJF, run by Leib Tropper.

I think we have all heard by now about the various abuses and scandals perpetrated by this man, so I feel no need to go into it. But having read what I have, it's clear to me that:

1. Geirut cannot be controlled by a small group of people in Israel

2. Geirut in Israel must be controlled primarily by the Cheif Rabbis. They need to man up and fire the Rabbis who said that conversions done through their own system are not Kosher. Anyone who denies the ability of the courts can not work in the courts.

3. EJF must be disbanded. A new Hareidi conversion group can open, but it needs to step into the modern world and have checks and balances, with openness and a way for people to be heard if they are worried about something.  In addition, there needs to be some sort of PR campaign to let people know that there are other ways of doing geirut than through ultra-Orthodox Rabbis, who may encourage a life-style that doesn't fit for everyone (ref: the sad story of a woman told she's no longer Jewish because she wore pants and didn't consistently cover her hair).

4. Finally, and most importantly, the 'Gedolim' in the Hareidi world need to openly address what has happened. Condemn it, explain why it is wrong, why it is abuse, and why above all abuse will not be tolerated. If you need a model for a Rabbi who stood up and said "I made a mistake and I will dedicate my life to making sure those mistakes don't happen again on my watch", please consult with Rabbi Yosef Blau.

4a. Please stop the hateful talking about other Jews. We are all Jews, which is the most important thing - more important than how we learn, what we wear, or what shul we daven in. If you don't know why this is important, I urge you to remember that Sinat Chinam is what destroyed us. If you don't like how someone lives their life, judge the action and not the person. I learned this in 3rd grade, and I've tried to hold to it my whole life.

I'm not going to ask for anything ridiculous like you telling ppl to get jobs or education - I won't judge your way of life. But I also will not financially support it, and I hope that one major thing to come of all this is that everyone reconsiders where their money is going and what is being accomplished with it. I will not reconsider my decision until I know that as a community you speak out against abuse, and follow up any whiff of it to make sure people aren't being victimized.

And - that is all.

3 comments:

  1. 1. A visitor' posted on the Thu 17 Dec 2009, 12:12 pm
    How does "Geirut cannot be controlled by a small group of people in Israel" work with "Geirut in Israel must be controlled primarily by the Cheif Rabbis?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2. 'Dani Weiss' posted on the Thu 17 Dec 2009, 12:17 pm
    Geitur worldwide cannot be controlled by the Beit Din in Israel. However, the Chief Rabbis decisions must be the final word *in* Israel. Thanks for pointing out my lack of clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3. 'A visitor' posted on the Tue 22 Dec 2009, 1:59 pm
    VERY good post. I am a convert and this is a subject which I hold near and dear.

    ReplyDelete